Update 2022/3/23: this has been updated with FOX DAY 2020 and 2021
Since today is FOX DAY, why not explain what it is and revisit the history of FOX DAY? Even old fans might enjoy reminding a bit. I know I did!
What is FOX DAY?
It’s a special day BABYMETAL, I mean the FOX GOD, created back in late 2015 which happens every April 1st. Every year there are special announcements or releases on FOX DAY. Likewise, since 2018 THE ONE membership has always ended on this day (re-opening again later in April).
History of FOX DAY
The first it was mentioned was at end of night 2 of BABYMETAL WORLD TOUR 2015 in JAPAN – THE FINAL CHAPTER OF TRILOGY (Yokohama Arena), where they announced in a video that a new album (not yet named METAL RESISTANCE) would release on April 1st, FOX DAY. Likewise, the day after, the 2016 World Tour would start at London’s Wembley Arena (this had already been announced months before). And finally that the tour final would be in Tokyo Dome, and that all information would be revealed on FOX DAY.
FOX DAY 2016
- METAL RESISTANCE releases Worldwide (it had already released a few days prior in Japan).
- Announcement that Tokyo Dome would take place on September 19th (it wasn’t until months later that they announced BLACK NIGHT).
Given the album release, Wembley being such a huge show for BABYMETAL, and the announcement of their largest show ever, this is quite possibly the biggest and most important FOX DAY yet.
FOX DAY 2017
- The first day of the of the Film Fes Tour. They showed LEGEND IDZ, Legend 1999, and 1997 in theaters around Tokyo, and later continued on throughout Japan, including a special Tokyo Dome Live Viewing shown across 18 theaters in Japan on April 11th. They also took the opportunity to re-release lots of old popular tees.
- Only The Five Knows contest winners (lottery done in February for purchasers of Tokyo Dome THE ONE edition) were used to play a little game of “hide-n-Seek”. They each posted a certain letter/message on their own Twitter accounts (like this and this), and fans had to find them to input the full message into THE ONE website. They were all found, and they gave the message: “5大キツネ祭り”. The info was the announcement of the FIVE FOX FESTIVALS! They announced it for everyone else a day later.
- The first deliveries of the (Sold-Out) Tokyo Dome – THE ONE Edition started shipping.
This FOX DAY featured lots of activities and a rather large announcement. Still, several international fans were disappointed as they expected announcements of solo shows outside Japan.
FOX DAY 2018
- They had a Live Viewing of LEGEND S, plus a broadcast on WOWOW.
- This FOX DAY featured another game like the year before. This time around fans saw BABYBONES holding signs with letters at the LEGEND S Live Viewing locations. Shortly after, BABYMETAL gave fans a card and once every hour shared a few cards (like these or these), which fans used to fill in the first one. Finally they showed the correct result (which many fans felt was cheating since 3 boxes contained either more than 1 letter or a symbol) and revealed the new EPISODE’s name “EPISODE VII – LIGHT AND DARKNESS”, was well as the new logo. Shortly after, they posted a teaser video, which just left fans asking more questions.
- They announced THE ONE blu-ray set for LEGEND S
This FOX DAY left most fans disappointed, as even though we did get a pro-shot of LEGEND S, there wasn’t any real announcement this time around.
FOX DAY 2019
- Announcement of new album (not yet named METAL GALAXY), Yokohama Arena (BABYMETAL AWAKENS – THE SUN ALSO RISES -), and LEGEND M.
The most nail-bitting FOX DAY, if I may say so myself. After a very odd 2018, with several changes in costumes, members, and lineup; After teases from the BABYMETAL Graphic Novel account and 5B Artist Management; After the longest hiatus in BABYMETAL history (last shows were in early December 2018), with no solo shows announced yet, fans were awaiting FOX DAY 2019 to possibly provide some guidance over how BABYMETAL would continue on.
Fans had to wait until 11PM (Japan Time) to get answers. And boy o boy… were fans ecstatic when they got the news.
FOX DAY 2020
This FOX DAY was mired by the begging of the COVID-19 pandemic and a wave of cancelations. Whatever initial plans BABYMETAL had for the 10th anniversary (“XX DAY“) were scrapped, but at the very least, we did get to see BABYMETAL perform on TV again (several times!), as well as a special live-stream only show and 10 BABYMETAL BUDOKAN.
THE ONE 2020 countdown started as usual.
FOX DAY 2021
As with the previous year, it was another teaser, this time for “LIVING LEGEND”. At the time of writing (March 2022), they have converted to “LIVING LEGEND”, and we still await what will come after (perhaps this FOX DAY 2022?).
JZ METAL · April 1, 2020 at 10:07 AM
Noticed this since 2016. Thought it was a prank 😂😂